Rongai Route starting from the north-eastern side of the Mount Kilimanjaro near the Kenyan border, the Rongai Route rises above the Amboseli plains and approach the summit of Kilimanjaro west of the Mawenzi peak. It is a neglected route and is also the calmest camping approach to Uhuru Peak.
The descent usually uses the Marangu Route. There are two differences to this route. You can choose to attempt the summit via Mawenzi Tarn Hut or via School Hut which is also referred to as the Outward Bound Hut. The former is longer and more popular. Prior acclimatization is suggested in order to attempt the latter successfully.
Day 1: Nalemoru Gate 2020m – Simba Camp – 8kms – 3 to 4hrs – Altitude change/ 680m
Drive to Marangu gate to collect your permit. Then drive from Marangu to Rongai gate Rombo village. Start trek begins from the gate winding up to the lush tropical forests and out into heather moorland. Overnight camping at First Cave. 2100m
Day 2: Simba Camp 2700m — Third Cave – 5kms – 3 to 4hrs/ 450m
The trek continues, through the fine open moorlands, we get great views of the steppes of Kenya below and spectacular Mawenzi turn above. Overnight at Third Cave. 3800m
Day 3: Second Cave — Kikelelwa Camp 3650m 5kms – 5-6hrs/ 500m
The trek continues, through the fine open moorlands. Overnight at Kikelelwa. 3800m
Day 4: Kikelelwa Camp 3650m — Mawenzi Tarn Camp -5kms – 3 to 4hrs/ 680m
Trek to the Mawenzi Tarn Camp were you will have beautiful views of Mawenzi Turn Lake above. Overnight Mawenzi Turn Hut.
Day 5: Mawenzi Tarn Camp 4330m — Kibo Camp – 8kms – 4 to 5hrs /420m
Trek through the lunar desert of the Saddle, the lava covered expanse between the two peaks Mawenzi and Kibo Reaching Kibo hut by the end of the day at 4700m. Overnight at Kibo Hut. 4703m
Day 6: Kibo Hut (4703m) — UHURU PEAK 5895m — Horombo Hut 21km
At midnight the trek begins up to the final steep, scree section to reach Hanzi Meya Cave half way to the summit. Huge glaciers and cliffs can be seen which mark this part of the Gillman’s Point 5695m. Trek to Stella Point and the summit at Uhuru peak 5896m. From the summit the trek descends to Kibo Hut and have rest for 1:30 min then to Horombo Hut for the final night. 3720m.
Day 7: Horombo Hut — Marangu Gate – 18kms – 5 to 6hrs /1880m
Covering the last section of the mountain, the trek continues down through the forests to the Marangu gate where your vehicle will be waiting to transport you back to Moshi or Arusha Hotel.
Included in price package
• Private transport to & from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your accommodations in Moshi.
• 2 nights of accommodation at Park view inn or Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel
• Transportation to & from the Kilimanjaro gate
• Park entry fees,
• Camping fees
• Team Kilimanjaro Rescue fees
• 18% VAT on tour fees & services
• 4 Season mountain tents
• Double layered Sleeping Mats
• Friendly and professional mountain guides, cook and porters
• 3 hot meals daily while on the mountain
• Enough treated & filtered drinking water throughout the trek
• Hot water for washing
• Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
• Government taxes
• Portable oxygen tanks & ox meter
• Emergency first-aid kit
– Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel before and after climb.
– Travel insurance
– Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is available for extra charges $ 70 for the entire trek.
– Laundry (Available at hotel)
– Personal items and toiletries
– Tips for guides, porters and cook (this is a guide to tipping on the mountain
Tipping on Kilimanjaro from the trekking group (not per climber):
• Guides: $20/day/guide
• Cook: $15/day
• Porter: $10/day/porter